Monday, June 13, 2011

Blood transfusion with 2 big sisters

When we left Primary Childrens last Friday we knew that Jessica's hematocrit was only 25.7 so a transfusion was in her near future. With transfusions, the more you have the more likely you are to begin having reactions to them. We like to spread them out as much as possible, but her count this morning was only 20.2 so they wanted her to have a transfusion. Her platelets have dropped to 56, so we may need those, but hopefully they won't get to transfusion point. The neulasta shot given has boosted her white blood cells and ANC up at 7.8 and 7.6 which is the higher end of normal, so that is great. We are hoping to not bottom out! We will keep our fingers crossed. We are here for the transfusion now. It has been a special trip because Annalise and Alyson are able to be here with us. We left the 2 brothers with Dad and the 3 girls have been enjoying being together. The children under 14 visiting rules were lifted just a few weeks ago. Not being able to be with Jessica in her rooms has been hard, especially for Annalise. This is just what they needed. They have played candy land, put Mr. potato Heads together, visited the playroom that I didn't realize they had here at DRMC, and they are now watching a movie together. We love it here at DRMC. They are so good to us!
Jessica has been such a great example of strength through this whole experience. She is constantly amazing us with the things she is able to do! And her brothers and sisters and parents too, have grown so much. But, like us all, there are times that make us stop and think. Last week, while we were up in S.L.C. still at Aunt Amelia's house right before heading to the hospital, Jessica was eating a bowl of cereal and out of the blue she said, "Mom, I wish I didn't have cancer. How did I get that tumor, that rock?". I had a hard time holding back the tears. I explained the best I could and she moved on happily. I am actually glad, in a way, that she expressed how she was feeling. She had never said anything like that before, but tonight she made another comment as I was putting her feeding tube in. She was upset because she didn't want to take medicine by mouth, but she didn't really want the feeding tube either. She said, "I wish I wasn't sick." Boy do I ever wish the same thing and to hear her say that. I just love my little girl. No parent would want their child to have to go through these difficult things, but I know there is a plan, a perfect plan. Our loving Heavenly Father knows that we need challenges to grow and become better. With the loss of a good family friend and the amazing strength shown by his family, I have once again thought hard about what is most important. I fall short each day, but I hope I can slowly but surely learn to treasure each day and truly enjoy the journey. I hope I can show my love always, even when that seems hard to do. We never know what will come. Life is so short. Too short to not make the most of everyday!
So grateful for all that I have! And so grateful for all of you and your many examples of strength, unconditional love, hope, and faith!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Chan for your example and the example of your family, you are truly becoming who the Lord wants you to become! It is so evident in your words and in your actions!! As I read this I was filled with the spirit of the Lord as you shared your very strong testimony. You are blessing so many lives! You are an instrument in His hands! I have finally come to realize that it isn't about things being easy. If things are easy it is not worth it because we don't learn anything. As we learn to rely wholly on the Lord are faith is strengthened and we begin to see that all these things are for our good and for our experience. These experiences begin to shape and mold our true character, of who the Lord wants us to become. What a great blessing this is!! This is what it's all about, seeking to know Him and blessing others lives all at the same time! YOU and your family are sacrificing whether you realize it or not and consecrating your lives to the Lord!! All of these things are for His purposes! You are such an inspiration for all of us who know you!!

    Love you, love you!!

    Elisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love DRMC and the staff on the pediatric floor! Nurse Heather was our very favorite nurse! Your family is such an example to us...always finding the positive in such trying times. Little Jessica is so brave and you are right, our Heavenly Father has a perfect plan for each of us, and while it can be very trying and hard, if we put our complete faith in him, he will bless us. I am amazed at your strength!

    {and if it's any help at all...we did our transfusions with Dylan at night so he could just sleep through them!}
    You guys are awesome!
    love ya
    The Mogles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Jessica, is an amazing, beautiful, precious, and cute little girl. She has a beautiful smile, and is an amazing, courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ, inspirational hero, and a super trooper. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and I love it when others sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know you can create short urls with AdFly and make $$$$ from every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete